Thursday, May 08, 2014

Days Gone By

Long ago, when I was a small person, we used to have milkmen.  Twice a week the milk truck would come, and the the milkman would deposit bottles of milk into a milk box, which sat faithfully on our porch.  The night before you would put the old empty glass bottles in the box, and occasionally a check, and the milkman would take the old bottles and leave you with new.  Our milkman wore a uniform and had an abiding hatred for dogs.  Sadly this stopped sometime in the 1970s, where I lived, ending my dream of growing up and becoming the greatest milkman who ever lived.  Fortunately after a long period of sorrow and despair, I was able to move on and have new aspirations, and eventually I turned to a new dream: to be an elevator operator!

14 comments:

angryparsnip said...

What a fun story. We had a milkman too.
We also had the Bread and a Vegetable Man who came out back in the alleyway. Also a Rag man. They would ring a bell or call out.
Later when I was older the Dairy Queen truck would drive by in summer. Soft Ice Cream or DQ Bars.

cheers, parsnip

Suze said...

:)

Rubye Jack said...

There's always Swann's you know. They too get uniforms. :)

Laoch of Chicago said...

ap, I like the idea of of a rag man! We had a chip man, who delivered potato chips and pretzels.

suze, :-)

rj, sadly I do not know what Swann's is? Must investigate.

susie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laoch of Chicago said...

Susie, stair climbing is good exercise.

dbs said...

I too wanted to be an elevator operator. I forgot about that. Thanks Laoch.

Friko said...

and you became the best elevator operator in the world until the day when they did away with them. Operators, not elevators.

Tamago said...

We had milkmen, too! Your post reminded me of the nice old style milk bottles :-)

Peaceful said...

we had a milkman also.
he was handsome with red hair, the only one in town with it.
There were quite a few redhaired babies after that, I kid you not.

Heather Robinson said...

Peaceful, as a redhead I can promise you that such an unusual but dominant gene doesn't come from out of the blue!

I liked this post very, very much. Merci et Bon Weekend!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The one thing I remember about the milk deliveries was what happened to that milk on very cold winter mornings. It would partially freeze, and the cream would blossom out the top of the bottle, with the cap perched on top of it. (Gross!)

Are there elevator operators anywhere anymore? It's been years since I saw one...

bch said...

sorry your dream didn't become a reality loach!
if you came to kirkham, uk then you could still continue that dream; we have a local milkman still using the cute little van and the glass bottles.

Laoch of Chicago said...

dbs, I wish there were still a chance for you.

friko, that day came pretty soon.

tamago,:-)

jade, red is a fine shade for hair.

heather, thank goodness for dominant genes.

susan, sadly , there really aren't any elevator operators anymore.

bch, I am sure I would love Kirkham. :-)