I am making this as an afternoon treat for today. I got the recipe from an old Martin Yan cooking show and I have modified it slightly to account for my more barbarian tastes. First let’s make the sauce:
- 1/4 cup of sweet rice cooking wine
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of minced green onions
- Mix ingredients in a bowl.
- There, that was pretty easy.
- 8 fresh shitake mushrooms
- 8 fresh button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- Remove and discard the shitake stems.
- Cut the button mushrooms into 1/4 inch strips
- Brush the mushrooms with the sesame oil.
- Heat your frying pan over medium heat (a grill pan is even better if you have one).
- Cook the mushrooms for three minutes or so, on each side, until the mushrooms are lightly browned and tender.
- Serve on an aesthetically pleasing plate.
- Put the Ponzu sauce into appropriate dipping bowls.
- Dip the mushrooms into the sauce and consume with gusto.